THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Mustard

MUSTARD~!

OK so, it has been several years since I've done a blog post. So update... 

The world is on fire with COVID-19. That's all I'm going to say about that. 

I am resuming posting food posts and continuing on with pursuing my cookbook. So I'm going to attempt to pick up where I left off on this blog. After a little less than a decade (7 Years). I'm just going to go in. 

Spring 2020.3.24 

Mustard: such a versatile condiment. Mustard is super flavorful and can be used in a multitude of ways. You can make a rub, a vinaigrette, or as a condiment. Sure it was originally made to go on a hotdog, and don't get me wrong. It's delicious on a hotdog. But today, I want to talk about its use differently. I want to give you guys a great use for it as a marinade or a base for your rub... and I have a few to talk about.

Mustard is punchy and savory and spicy all in one and it doesn't take a lot to make its presence known. So for my first recipe, it is a wet marinade/ rub. All you have to do is mix it together, and rub it on, let it sit, and then bake it with some on/ over it.


Chianti Mustard Rub:


¼ Cup    Chianti
4 Tbsp.   Dijon Mustard
1 Tsp.     Paprika
1 Tsp.     Parsley
1 Tsp.     Dill
1 Tsp.     Salt and Pepper (less salt thank you think is needed)

For glass and aluminum baking pans, rub the bottom down with some butter... it adds great flavor and keeps the dish from sticking to your choice of protein or vegetable. This "rub" created a wonderful crust and a nice salty bite to whatever you're cooking. I adore putting this on fish, chicken and especially duck/ beef. 

This is a highly versatile rub and it goes great on fish, duck, chicken, beef, pork, asparagus, broccoli, it works and marries so well I want everyone in the world to try this.

The Second rub is:

Coriander Mustard Rub:
Simple and easy and also quick. Again, everything into a bowl, mix, slather and cook.

½ Cup.   Maille Mustard
1. Tbsp. Ground Coriander
1 Tsp.     Dill
1 Tsp.     Black Pepper
Salt to taste, but err on the side of less salt since mustard is salty already.

Again, this rub is so simple and packs a great flavor and punch. I love this one on fish in particular and chicken.

And the Last Rub is:

Dry Mustard BBQ Rub:


¾ Cup.  Mustard Powder (I use Coleman's)

½ Cup.  Paprika
¼ Cup.  Smoked Chili Powder
¼ Cup.  Garlic Powder
¼ Cup.  Onion Powder
⅓ Cup. Black Pepper
¾ Cup. Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Ground Coriander
2 Tbsp. Cumin
1 Tbsp. Turmeric
1 Tbsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Dried Thyme
2 Tbsp. MSG

1 Whole chicken or Rack of Ribs 
½ Cup Mustard BBQ Rub 
½ Cup Dijon

Rub the inside and outside or top and sides really well with the dijon mustard. Then sprinkle on the rub evenly all over it.

The MSG is optional, but I love that extra zing it gives to food and since has disproved the old racist sayings of the past. So get over your fear of MSG.

Along with the above rub mixed really well and then stored in an airtight container... I use Maille Dijon or good ole Grey Poupon to adhere the rub mix to whatever protein of my choice. I adore this sweet and punchy rub on chicken but especially pork. This rub works so well with so many things... although I have yet to put it on fish... *see above recipe for the fish, I promise you, you will love it* but I'm sure if you want a mustardy and smokey,  sweet yet mellow, fish, that this would be right for you. I adore using this rub on pork or dark meat chicken thighs, or duck~


Until next post~ I hope everyone tries out one of these recipes and lets me know how it is. 








0 comments: